Bariatric Surgery Candidates
If you are unable to lose weight and maintain weight loss through a structured, medical weight-loss program that includes strict dietary management, physical exercise, lifestyle changes and/or medication, you may be a candidate for weight-loss or bariatric surgery at MyNewSelf.
Body mass index (BMI) serves as a screening tool for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Your BMI is calculated using a formula that takes into account your height and weight. For most people, BMI is considered a reliable indicator of body fat.
Physicians can use BMI along with other assessments such as family and personal health history, diet evaluations, physical activity levels and other health screenings to assess your weight-related health issues.
Candidates for Bariatric Surgery at MyNewSelf are:
- At least 18 years of age
- Severely obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more
- Obese (BMI of 35-39.9) and suffering from one or more obesity-related diseases (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart or lung disease)
- Some patients may qualify for certain types of weight-loss surgery if their BMI is 30 to 34 and they have weight-related health problems
- Experiencing personal, work-related or relationship problems due to obesity
- Previously unsuccessful at losing weight long term through diet and exercise
- Able to commit to long-term medical follow-up, as well as the lifestyle, dietary and exercise changes necessary to maintain health after surgery
- Willing to undergo a psychological evaluation to determine if you are emotionally healthy enough to understand the ramifications of your decision
Patient surgery may be associated with its own set of problems, such as infection, poor wound healing, and rarely even death. Therefore, you and your surgeon should carefully discuss the risks of your current health condition compared to the risks and benefits of a gastric surgery procedure. Other considerations are if your insurance will cover your surgery at a weight loss center.
At MyNewSelf, our experienced, multi-disciplinary weight loss team will answer all your questions about lap band surgery and other bariatric procedures performed at our facility. We also encourage you to browse through our FAQs
for more information.