Health Care Guides
Here are a few suggestions to vary your workout and make it more interesting.
- If you are at home, listen to music or watch television (listening to music is not recommended if you are an outside runner). If you get bored exercising at home, go to the gym. Watching other people training and socializing can help you work out.
- Exercise in a park, along a trail, or in a new location.
- Exercise with a friend.
- Challenge yourself by trying to exercise "harder" than you did the last time.
- Do an activity you do not usually do.
- Exercise in a public place (where you can look at others).
- Make a day of it -- bring everything you'll need (within reason) for a day of hiking, biking, swimming, etc.
- Take an aerobics, swim, or dance class.
- Consider getting a dog so you have a built-in excuse to walk every day.
- Join a running or walking club
Jeffrey Heit, MD, Internist with special emphasis on preventive health, fitness and nutrition, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.