Health Care Guides
- Wear several layers, including gloves and a hat. Remove layers when you warm up, and replace them during the slower portions of your workout.
- If it is snowing or icy, be extra careful to not fall.
- Remember, you can still become dehydrated in cold weather -- so you still need plenty of fluid before, during, and after exercise.
- Wear light-colored, lightweight clothing.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after you exercise. This is important at all times of the year, but especially when exercising in warm weather.
- Take it slow, and be cautious about pushing your limits. Don't push yourself too hard, especially in the heat. Remember that you still need to replenish fluid even when you don't feel thirsty. If you do feel dizzy, lightheaded, or sluggish -- stop, rest, and drink fluids immediately!
- Heat stroke is a medical emergency. It may decrease your level of consciousness or even cause a seizure. If you experience more serious symptoms -- such as nausea, headache, confusion, clamminess, trouble focusing, fever, or sudden lack of sweating -- you should go to the hospital right away. You should also see a doctor promptly if your heavy breathing, dizziness, and excessive fatigue remain after you have rested and replenished fluids.
- If heat, humidity, or pollution makes exercise too hard, exercise indoors or during cooler hours.
Jeffrey Heit, MD, Internist with special emphasis on preventive health, fitness and nutrition, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.