Health Care Guides
If you have high blood pressure, bring this list with you to your next visit!
Your blood pressure
- What is my blood pressure reading in numbers?
- What is my goal blood pressure?
- Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
- Is my systolic pressure too high?
Weight and exercise
- What would be a healthy weight for me?
- Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
- Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
- Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
- What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
- What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, herbs, and dietary supplements.)
- What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
- Should I take it with food?
- Are there any foods, beverages, herbs, or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
- What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
From "Your Guide to Lowering High Blood Pressure," by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health. Illustration copyright A.D.A.M., Inc.
Steven Kang, MD, Division of Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology, East Bay Arrhythmia, Cardiovascular Consultants Medical Group, Oakland, CA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.