St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Wart remover poisoning

    Wart removers are medicines used to eliminate warts, which are small, usually painless growths on the skin caused by a virus. Wart remover poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows or uses more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    • Salicylates
    • Other acids

    Where Found

    • Clear Away
    • Clear Away Plantar
    • Compound W
    • DuoFilm
    • DuoFilm patch
    • DuoPlant for Feet
    • Freezone
    • Gordofilm
    • Hydrisalic
    • Keralyt
    • Lactisol
    • Lactisol-Forte
    • Maximum Strength Wart-Off
    • Mediplast
    • Mosco
    • Occlusal
    • Occlusal-HP
    • Off-Ezy Wart Remover
    • Panscol
    • Paplex Ultra
    • PediaPatch
    • Sal-Acid
    • Sal-Plant
    • Salacid
    • Salactic Film
    • Trans-Plantar
    • Trans-Ver-Sal
    • Vergo
    • Verukan
    • Viranol
    • Wart Remover

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

    Symptoms

    • Airways and lungs
      • Breathing may stop
      • Rapid breathing
      • Shallow breathing
    • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
      • Eye irritation
      • Loss of vision
      • Ringing in the ears
      • Throat swelling
    • Kidneys
      • Kidney failure
    • Nervous system
      • Collapse (from swallowing substance)
      • Convulsions (from swallowing substance)
      • Dizziness
      • Drowsiness
      • Fever (from swallowing substance)
      • Hallucinations
      • Hyperactivity
    • Skin
      • Rash (usually an allergic reaction)
      • Mild burn (in extremely high doses)
    • Stomach and intestines
      • Nausea
      • Vomiting, possibly with blood

    Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional. Flush the eyes with water and remove any solution that remains on the skin.

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. If the substance was swallowed, the patient may receive:

    • Activated charcoal
    • Blood tests
    • Fluids by IV
    • Sodium bicarbonate - a medicine (partial antidote) to help neutralize and remove the chemicals (salicylates) from the body
    • Tube placed down the nose and into the stomach

    If the poisoning occurred through skin exposure, the patient may receive:

    • Washing (irrigation) of the skin, perhaps every few hours for several days
    • Surgical removal of burned skin (debridement)

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well a patient does depends on how much poison entered the blood and how quickly treatment was received. Patients can recover if the effect of the poison can be neutralized. Kidney damage can be permanent.

    References

    Yip L. Salicylates. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline DM, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap 170.

    BACK TO TOP

    • Warts, flat on the cheek...

      illustration

    • Wart (close-up)

      illustration

      • Warts, flat on the cheek...

        illustration

      • Wart (close-up)

        illustration

      Tests for Wart remover poisoning

        Review Date: 12/15/2011

        Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

        The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
        adam.com

        A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


        Back  |  Top
        About Us
        Contact Us
        History
        Mission
        Locations & Directions
        Quality Reports
        Annual Reports
        Honors & Awards
        Community Health Needs
        Assessment

        Newsroom
        Services
        Brain & Spine
        Cancer
        Heart
        Maternity
        Orthopedics
        Pulmonary
        Sleep Medicine
        Urgent Care
        Women's Services
        All Services
        Patients & Visitors
        Locations & Directions
        Find a Physician
        Tour St. Luke's
        Patient & Visitor Information
        Contact Us
        Payment Options
        Financial Assistance
        Send a Card
        Mammogram Appointments
        Health Tools
        My Personal Health
        mystlukes
        Spirit of Women
        Health Information & Tools
        Clinical Trials
        Health Risk Assessments
        Employer Programs -
        Passport to Wellness

        Classes & Events
        Classes & Events
        Spirit of Women
        Donate & Volunteer
        Giving Opportunities
        Volunteer
        Physicians & Employees
        For Physicians
        Remote Access
        Medical Residency Information
        Pharmacy Residency Information
        Physician CPOE Training
        Careers
        Careers
        St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
        Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile