St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Multiple vitamin overdose

    Multiple vitamin overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of multivitamin supplements.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    Any ingredient in a multiple vitamin supplement can be toxic in large amounts, but the most serious risk comes from iron or calcium.

    See also: Iron overdose

    Where Found

    A variety of mutivitamin supplements are sold over the counter.

    Symptoms

    • Bladder and kidneys
      • Cloudy urine
      • Frequent urination
      • Increased urine output
    • Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
      • Dry, cracking lips (from chronic overdose)
      • Eye irritation
      • Increased sensitivity of the eyes to light
    • Heart and blood
      • Irregular heartbeat
      • Rapid heartbeat
    • Muscles and joints
      • Bone pain
      • Joint pain
      • Muscle pain
      • Muscle weakness
    • Nervous system
      • Confusion
      • Convulsions (seizures)
      • Fainting
      • Fatigue
      • Headache
      • Mental changes
      • Mood changes
      • Irritability
    • Skin and hair
      • Flushing from niacin (vitamin B3)
      • Dry cracking skin
      • Itching, burning skin, or rash
      • Yellow-orange areas of skin
      • Sun sensitivity (more likely to sunburn)
      • Hair loss (from long-term overdose)
    • Stomach and intestines
      • Appetite loss
      • Constipation (from iron or calcium)
      • Diarrhea, possibly bloody
      • Nausea and vomiting
      • Stomach pain
      • Weight loss (from long-term overdose)

    Home Care

    Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional. Seek immediate medical help.

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: National Poison Control center

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:

    • Activated charcoal
    • Blood tests to check vitamin levels
    • Breathing support
    • Fluids by IV
    • Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the overdose
    • Tube down the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

    In severe cases, the patient may be admitted to the hospital.

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    Niacin flush (vitamin B3) is uncomfortable, but lasts only 2 to 8 hours. Vitamins A and D may cause symptoms when large doses are taken each day, but a single large dose of these vitamins is rarely harmful. B vitamins usually do not cause symptoms.

    If medical treatment is quickly received, patients who have iron and calcium overdoses usually recover.

    BACK TO TOP

          A Closer Look

          Self Care

            Tests for Multiple vitamin overdose

              Review Date: 12/15/2011

              Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

              The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
              adam.com

              A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


              Back  |  Top
              About Us
              Contact Us
              History
              Mission
              Locations & Directions
              Quality Reports
              Annual Reports
              Honors & Awards
              Community Health Needs
              Assessment

              Newsroom
              Services
              Brain & Spine
              Cancer
              Heart
              Maternity
              Orthopedics
              Pulmonary
              Sleep Medicine
              Urgent Care
              Women's Services
              All Services
              Patients & Visitors
              Locations & Directions
              Find a Physician
              Tour St. Luke's
              Patient & Visitor Information
              Contact Us
              Payment Options
              Financial Assistance
              Send a Card
              Mammogram Appointments
              Health Tools
              My Personal Health
              mystlukes
              Spirit of Women
              Health Information & Tools
              Clinical Trials
              Health Risk Assessments
              Employer Programs -
              Passport to Wellness

              Classes & Events
              Classes & Events
              Spirit of Women
              Donate & Volunteer
              Giving Opportunities
              Volunteer
              Physicians & Employees
              For Physicians
              Remote Access
              Medical Residency Information
              Pharmacy Residency Information
              Physician CPOE Training
              Careers
              Careers
              St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
              Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile