St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Dry cell battery poisoning

    Batteries - dry cell

    Dry cell batteries are a common type of power source. Tiny dry cell batteries are sometimes called button batteries.

    This article discusses the harmful effects from swallowing a dry cell battery (including button batteries) or breathing in large amounts of dust or smoke from burning batteries.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    • Acidic dry cell batteries
      • Manganese dioxide
      • Ammonium chloride
    • Alkaline dry cell batteries
      • Sodium hydroxide
      • Potassium hydroxide
    • Lithium dioxide dry cell batteries
      • Manganese dioxide

    Where Found

    Dry cell batteries are used to power a variety of different items. Small dry cell batteries may be used to power watches and calculators, while larger ones (for example, size "D" batteries) can be used in items such as flashlights.

    Symptoms

    Symptoms depend on what type of battery is swallowed.

    Symptoms of acidic dry cell battery poisoning include:

    • Decreased mental ability
    • Irritation or burns in the mouth
    • Muscle cramps
    • Slurred speech
    • Swelling of the lower legs, ankles, or feet
    • Weakness
    • Spastic walk
    • Spasticity
    • Tremor

    Symptoms that can result from breathing in large amounts of the acidic battery, or contents, dust, and smoke from burning batteries include:

    • Decreased mental ability
    • Difficulty sleeping
    • Muscle cramps
    • Slurred speech
    • Weakness in the legs
    • Bronchitis
    • Headache
    • Pneumonia
    • Itching skin
    • Numbness of the fingers or toes
    • Spastic walk

    Symptoms of alkaline battery poisoning may include:

    • Severe pain in the mouth
    • Collapse
    • Inability to breathe due to the throat swelling shut
    • Severe pain in the throat
    • Severe abdominal pain
    • Diarrhea
    • Vomiting
    • Drooling
    • Rapid drop in blood pressure

    Home Care

    Immediate emergency treatment is necessary after a battery is swallowed.

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional. Immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider.

    If the person breathed in fumes from the battery, immediately move him or her to fresh air.

    If the battery broke and contents touched the eyes or skin, wash the area with water for 15 minutes.

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • Type of battery
    • Time it was swallowed
    • Amount swallowed

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.

    The person will need immediate x-rays to make sure the battery is not stuck in the esophagus. Most swallowed batteries that pass through the esophagus will pass in the stool without complication. However, if a battery gets stuck in the esophagus it can cause a hole in the esophagus very quickly.

    The patient may receive:

    • Upper endoscopy - tube and camera through the mouth into the esophagus and stomach to remove a battery stuck in the swallowing tube (esophagus)
    • Bronchoscopy - camera and tube down the throat into the lungs and airways to remove a battery that is stuck in the respiratory tract

    Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery. Full recovery is often possible if treated quickly.

    Serious problems are usually seen only following industrial accidents. Most household exposures (such as licking some liquid from a leaking battery or swallowing a button battery) are minor.

    References

    Hostetler MA. Gastrointestinal disorders. In: Marx JA, ed. Rosen’s Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 170.

    BACK TO TOP

          A Closer Look

          Self Care

            Tests for Dry cell battery poisoning

              Review Date: 2/28/2012

              Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

              The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
              adam.com

              A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


              Back  |  Top
              About Us
              Contact Us
              History
              Mission
              Locations & Directions
              Quality Reports
              Annual Reports
              Honors & Awards
              Community Health Needs
              Assessment

              Newsroom
              Services
              Brain & Spine
              Cancer
              Heart
              Maternity
              Orthopedics
              Pulmonary
              Sleep Medicine
              Urgent Care
              Women's Services
              All Services
              Patients & Visitors
              Locations & Directions
              Find a Physician
              Tour St. Luke's
              Patient & Visitor Information
              Contact Us
              Payment Options
              Financial Assistance
              Send a Card
              Mammogram Appointments
              Health Tools
              My Personal Health
              mystlukes
              Spirit of Women
              Health Information & Tools
              Clinical Trials
              Health Risk Assessments
              Employer Programs -
              Passport to Wellness

              Classes & Events
              Classes & Events
              Spirit of Women
              Donate & Volunteer
              Giving Opportunities
              Volunteer
              Physicians & Employees
              For Physicians
              Remote Access
              Medical Residency Information
              Pharmacy Residency Information
              Physician CPOE Training
              Careers
              Careers
              St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
              Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile