St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Poison ivy - oak - sumac

    Poison oak; Poison sumac; Sumac - poisonous; Oak - poisonous; Ivy - poisonous

    Poison ivy, oak, or sumac poisoning is an allergic reaction that results from touching the sap of these plants. The sap may be on the plant, in the ashes of burned plants, on an animal, or on other objects that came in contact with the plant, such as clothing, garden tools, and sports equipment.

    Small amounts of sap can remain under a person's fingernails for several days unless it is deliberately removed with very good cleaning.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    One poisonous ingredient is the chemical urushiol.

    Where Found

    • Bruised roots, stems, flowers, leaves, fruit
    • Pollen of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

    Symptoms

    • Blisters
    • Burning skin
    • Itching
    • Redness of the skin
    • Swelling

    Symptoms can affect the eyes and mouth in addition to the skin.

    Home Care

    Wash the area immediately with soap and water. Quickly washing the area can prevent a reaction, but it doesn't usually help if done more than 1 hour after touching the plant's sap. Flush the eyes out with water.

    Carefully wash any contaminated objects or clothing alone in hot soapy water. Do not let the items touch any other clothing or materials.

    An over-the-counter antihistamine such as Benadryl or a steroid cream may help relieve itching.

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • The patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the plant, if known
    • The amount swallowed (if swallowed)

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    Unless the reaction is severe, you will probably not need to visit the emergency room. If you are concerned, call your doctor or poison control.

    At the doctor's office, you may receive:

    • Antihistamine or steroids by mouth or applied to the skin
    • Washing of the skin (irrigation)

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    Life-threatening reactions may occur if the poisonous ingredients are swallowed or are breathed in (which can happen when the plants are burned).

    Typical skin rashes usually go away without any long-term problems. A skin infection may develop if the affected areas are not kept clean.

    References

    Smolinske SC, Daubert GP, Spoerke DG. Poisonous plants. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 24.

    Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2007.

    BACK TO TOP

    • Poison oak rash on the a...

      illustration

    • Poison ivy on the knee

      illustration

    • Poison ivy on the leg

      illustration

      • Poison oak rash on the a...

        illustration

      • Poison ivy on the knee

        illustration

      • Poison ivy on the leg

        illustration

      Review Date: 12/15/2011

      Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

      The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
      adam.com

      A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


      Back  |  Top
      About Us
      Contact Us
      History
      Mission
      Locations & Directions
      Quality Reports
      Annual Reports
      Honors & Awards
      Community Health Needs
      Assessment

      Newsroom
      Services
      Brain & Spine
      Cancer
      Heart
      Maternity
      Orthopedics
      Pulmonary
      Sleep Medicine
      Urgent Care
      Women's Services
      All Services
      Patients & Visitors
      Locations & Directions
      Find a Physician
      Tour St. Luke's
      Patient & Visitor Information
      Contact Us
      Payment Options
      Financial Assistance
      Send a Card
      Mammogram Appointments
      Health Tools
      My Personal Health
      mystlukes
      Spirit of Women
      Health Information & Tools
      Clinical Trials
      Health Risk Assessments
      Employer Programs -
      Passport to Wellness

      Classes & Events
      Classes & Events
      Spirit of Women
      Donate & Volunteer
      Giving Opportunities
      Volunteer
      Physicians & Employees
      For Physicians
      Remote Access
      Medical Residency Information
      Pharmacy Residency Information
      Physician CPOE Training
      Careers
      Careers
      St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
      Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile