St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Paradichlorobenzene poisoning

    Paradichlorobenzene is a white, solid chemical with a very strong odor. Poisoning can occur if you swallow this chemical.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    • Paradichlorobenzene

    Where Found

    • Toilet bowl deodorizers
    • Moth repellant

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

    Symptoms

    • Eyes, ears, throat, and mouth
      • Burning in mouth
    • Lungs and airways
      • Breathing problems (rapid, slow, or painful)
      • Cough
      • Shallow breathing
    • Nervous system
      • Changes in alertness
      • Headache
      • Slurred speech
      • Weakness
    • Skin
      • Yellow skin (jaundice)
    • Stomach and intestines
      • Abdominal pain
      • Diarrhea
      • Nausea
      • Vomiting

    Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.

    If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

    If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is unconscious (has a decreased level of alertness).

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition (for example, is the person awake or alert?)
    • Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • Amount swallowed

    However, do NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:

    • Activated charcoal
    • Fluids through a vein (by IV)
    • Laxative
    • Medicines to treat symptoms
    • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    This type of poisoning is usually not life threatening. Little will likely happen if your child accidentally puts a moth ball in the mouth, even if it's swallowed, unless it causes choking. Mothballs have an irritating smell, which usually keeps people away from them.

    More severe symptoms may occur if someone intentionally swallows the product, since larger amounts are usually swallowed.

    References

    Goldfrank LR. Camphor and moth repellants. In: Goldfrank LR, Flomenbaum NE, Lewin NA, et al., eds. Goldfrank’s Toxicologic Emergencies. 7th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2002:chap 84.

    BACK TO TOP

          Self Care

            Tests for Paradichlorobenzene poisoning

              Review Date: 2/28/2012

              Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

              The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
              adam.com

              A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


              Back  |  Top
              About Us
              Contact Us
              History
              Mission
              Locations & Directions
              Quality Reports
              Annual Reports
              Honors & Awards
              Community Health Needs
              Assessment

              Newsroom
              Services
              Brain & Spine
              Cancer
              Heart
              Maternity
              Orthopedics
              Pulmonary
              Sleep Medicine
              Urgent Care
              Women's Services
              All Services
              Patients & Visitors
              Locations & Directions
              Find a Physician
              Tour St. Luke's
              Patient & Visitor Information
              Contact Us
              Payment Options
              Financial Assistance
              Send a Card
              Mammogram Appointments
              Health Tools
              My Personal Health
              mystlukes
              Spirit of Women
              Health Information & Tools
              Clinical Trials
              Health Risk Assessments
              Employer Programs -
              Passport to Wellness

              Classes & Events
              Classes & Events
              Spirit of Women
              Donate & Volunteer
              Giving Opportunities
              Volunteer
              Physicians & Employees
              For Physicians
              Remote Access
              Medical Residency Information
              Pharmacy Residency Information
              Physician CPOE Training
              Careers
              Careers
              St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
              Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile