Diabetes - what to ask your doctor - type 2What to ask your doctor about diabetes - type 2
Type 2 diabetes is a (lifelong) disease that causes high levels of sugar (glucose) in your blood. It can damage your organs. It can also lead to a heart attack or stroke and cause many other health problems. You can do many things to control your symptoms, prevent damage due to diabetes, and make your life better.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your diabetes.
Ask your doctor to check the nerves, skin, and pulses in your feet.
- How often should I check my feet? What should I do when I check them? What problems should I call my doctor or nurse about?
- Who should trim my toenails? Is it okay if I trim them?
- How should I take care of my feet every day? What type of shoes and socks should I wear?
Ask your doctor about getting exercise.
- Before I start, do I need to have my heart checked out? My eyes? My feet?
- What type of exercise program should I do? What type of activities should I avoid?
- How should I watch my blood sugar when I exercise? What should I bring with me when I exercise?
When should I next have an eye doctor check my eyes? What eye problems should I call my doctor about?
Ask your doctor about your diabetes medications:
- When should I take them?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?
- Are there anyside effects?
How often should I check my blood sugar level at home? Should I do it at different times of the day? What is too low? What is too high?
Should I get a medical alert bracelet or necklace? Should I have glucagon at home?
Ask your doctor about other tests you may need, such as cholesterol,A1C, and a urine test to check for kidney problems.
How should I take care of my diabetes when I travel?
How should I take care of my diabetes when I am sick?
- What should I eat or drink?
- How should I take my diabetes medicines?
- How often should I check my blood sugar?
- When should I call the doctor or nurse?
- Diabetes - what to ask your doctor - type 2
- Mastectomy and breast reconstruction - what to ask your doctor
- Weight-loss surgery - before - what to ask your doctor
- Hip or knee replacement - before - what to ask your doctor
- Anesthesia - what to ask your doctor - adult
- Anesthesia - what to ask your doctor - child
- Questions to ask your doctor before knee replacement
Review Date: 12/11/2012
Reviewed By: Nancy J. Rennert, MD, Chief of Endocrinology & Diabetes, Norwalk Hospital, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.