Depending on your age, type of procedure and your general health, pre-operative evaluation and testing may be required. This may include an EKG, blood work, or possibly an X-ray. If it is determined that these tests are needed, a surgical nurse will contact you to schedule your pre-operative appointment. A registered nurse will obtain your health history by phone prior to your pre-operative appointment.
- Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
What to Expect:
- Same Day Surgery Department, second floor, West Medical Office Building.
We hope you will find this pre-operative visit both helpful and informative. If pre-operative testing is not necessary, you will receive a telephone call prior to the day of surgery.
- Your name and insurance information will be registered into the computer. Please bring your picture ID and health insurance card(s).
- Bring a list of medications that you currently are taking, including dosages.
- Surgery instructions will be reviewed and questions answered.
- Assistance in planning for care after surgery will be given.
- The pre-operative instructions and testing are completed in approximately 30 minutes.
Preparation for Surgery
The evening meal the day before your scheduled surgery should be light and do not drink or eat anything after midnight, unless otherwise instructed to do so. Patients are also instructed to shower the night before and the morning of surgery. Be sure to sleep on clean bedding prior to surgery.
If you develop symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (sore throat, nasal congestion, cough, fever) within 24 hours before your operation, contact your surgeon's office.