Frequently Asked Questions
Listed below are the answers to our visitors' most frequently asked questions and comments. We hope you find this information helpful as you prepare to spend time with us at St. Luke's Hospital.
My spouse/relative/friend is receiving treatment at St. Luke's. How can I find his or her room number? How can I get information or updates on his or her condition?
You may call the patient information number at 314-205-6880 ahead of time, or stop by the information desk in the main lobby of the hospital. St. Luke's volunteers and employees will be happy to provide you with a room number and general information.
Does it really matter if I have a cold when I visit?
We do our best to provide a healthy environment for our patients and visitors. Please try to avoid visiting St. Luke's if you have a cold, the flu or other contagious condition.
How many visitors may I bring, and how long may we stay?
Before you leave for the hospital, please call to inquire about specific visitation guidelines. Doctors' orders and room location can often affect visitation guidelines. Not to worry, though. When appropriate, special visiting arrangements can be made for family members.
Where can I dine?
St. Luke's offers visitors several dining options:
- St. Luke's offers room service to patients and their families. When you are ready to place your order, dial 4400 from a hospital phone to speak with our room service assistant. Orders may be placed anytime between 6:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. and from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. You can expect your meal to arrive within 45 minutes of placing your order.
- The Lake View Café, located on the 1st floor of the hospital, is open weekdays from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1 to 2:30 a.m. The hours for weekends and holidays are 7:30 to 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1 to 2:30 a.m.
- The Fountain Café, located in the 3rd Floor Atrium of the North/South Medical Building, is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Corner Gourmet, located on the 1st floor of the Desloge Outpatient Center, is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Vending machines are available throughout the hospital.
May I bring food into the hospital?
Guests are welcome to bring food into the hospital, but they are encouraged not to share outside food with patients unless approved by the doctor.
May I stay in the room while my spouse/relative/friend talks with the doctor or receives treatment?
This decision depends on the wishes of the patient and doctor. Don't take it personally if you are asked to leave for a moment. Everyone needs a little privacy sometimes.
May I smoke at St. Luke's?
St. Luke's is a smoke-free campus, according to state regulation. No tobacco products of any kind may be used on our campus or in our facilities.
May children visit?
We love when children visit, but they must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please help your child maintain the quiet environment.
Where can I go to pray or meditate?
The chapel, located on the third floor of the hospital, is available 24 hours a day to provide our patients, visitors and employees with a place to reflect. Chaplains are also available if you wish to have someone with which to consult.
Where can I obtain information on advance directives?
Advance directives, including living wills, healthcare directives and durable power of attorney for healthcare documents can be obtained through St. Luke's social service department. Please call 314-205-6901 for more information. To request an advance directive, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, you may visit www.mobar.org (to download the Missouri Bar Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Health Care Directive) or www.ago.missouri.gov (search for "Life Choices," which addresses a variety of end of life issues, including advance directives).
Where can I access the Internet?
Several communication centers throughout the hospital provide visitors with access to the Internet and the ability to address other communication needs. The following is a list of locations:
- Wireless access is available on floors one through nine of the hospital (where signal is available).
- The Cancer Resource Center, located on the first floor of the East Medical Building, has computer stations available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Same Day Surgery Waiting Room, located on the second floor of the West Medical Office Building, offers phone and fax/modem outlets. Wireless Internet is also available.