Good Fats, Good Carbs, Good Nutrition
On Tuesday, September 28, registered dietitians from
St. Luke's Hospital discussed healthy eating habits as part of their Healthy Woman Series programs. Diane Andrea, RD, LD offered the following tips:
Are you confused about all the diets out there? Be careful with fad diets. You may lose weight, but it may be only be a temporary fix. You know a diet is a fad diet if:
- It promises a quick fix
- It encourages or requires you to stop eating certain foods, food groups or products
- It relies on a single study as the basis for its recommendations
- It contradicts recommendations of reputable health organizations
- It identifies food as "good' or "bad"
- It sounds too good to be true
Instead, start adopting a healthy eating plan. Healthy eating includes:
- A balance of healthy foods from the different food groups
- A variety of foods from each food group
- Moderation in portion sizes and amount of food eaten
If you are interested in setting up a healthy eating plan for yourself, St. Luke's Hospital offers nutritional counseling by registered dietitians. The registered dietitians work one-on-one with you to ensure personal attention to you dietary needs.
For more information on nutrition counseling, or to schedule an appointment, please call 314-205-6483. If you would like to be on the mailing list for upcoming Healthy Living programs, please call 314-542-4848.