Cidofovir (By injection)
Treats eye infections caused by cytomegalovirus (CMV) in patients who have AIDS.
VistideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to cidofovir, probenecid, or any sulfa drug.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how cidofovir works. Tell your doctor if you are taking zidovudine (AZT), amphotericin B, foscarnet, IV pentamidine, or an antibiotic.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant, talk with your doctor before you start this medicine. Cidofovir may be harmful to an unborn baby.
- Do not get pregnant while you or your sexual partner receive cidofovir. Tell your doctor right away if you do become pregnant while you are being treated with cidofovir.
- Women should use a reliable method of birth control during treatment and for at least 1 month after the last dose. Men should use a condom during treatment and for at least 3 months after the last dose.
- This medicine can damage your kidneys. To help prevent damage, you will also take a medicine called probenecid before and after your treatment with cidofovir. It is important that you take probenecid exactly as your doctor ordered. Do not skip any doses.
- You will need to have your eyes and blood counts tested regularly. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Foamy urine
- Trouble breathing
- Unexplained fever, chills, or sore throat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Hair loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017