Sofosbuvir/velpatasvir (By mouth)
Sofosbuvir (soe-FOS-bue-vir), Velpatasvir (vel-PAT-as-vir)
Treats chronic hepatitis C.
EpclusaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it together with ribavirin if you are pregnant or your sexual partner is pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the medicine in its original bottle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Amiodarone can cause serious side effects if used together with sofosbuvir or if you have used it recently.
Some foods and medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Atorvastatin, digoxin, efavirenz, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, rosuvastatin, St John's wort, tenofovir, tipranavir/ritonavir, topotecan
- Medicine to treat seizures (including carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin)
- Stomach medicine (including famotidine, omeprazole)
- If you take an antacid that contains aluminum or magnesium, take it 4 hours before or after you take this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Ribavirin may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Follow all directions about birth control.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, other liver disease, or heart disease.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Slow heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017