Hydrocodone/chlorpheniramine/pseudoephedrine (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine Maleate (klor-fen-IR-a-meen MAL-ee-ate), Hydrocodone Bitartrate (hye-droe-KOE-done bye-TAR-trate), Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (soo-doe-e-FED-rin hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats cough and stuff nose. This medicine contains a narcotic.
ZutriproThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not use it if you had an allergic reaction to hydrocodone, chlorpheniramine, or pseudoephedrine, or if you have used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within the last 14 days. Do not use this medicine if you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
- Some foods and drugs can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are also a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA).
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine. Do not take any medicine with alcohol in it.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have trouble urinating, high blood pressure, or heart disease. Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease or other thyroid disorder, asthma, diabetes, digestion problems, enlarged prostate, head injury, or history of drug abuse.
- This medicine may cause severe breathing problems.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Too much of this medicine can cause death. Symptoms of an overdose include extreme dizziness or weakness, trouble breathing, slow heartbeat, seizure, and cold, clammy skin.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Extreme weakness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, sweating, cold, clammy skin
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Seizures or tremors
- Severe constipation or stomach pain
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or trouble sleeping
- Blurred vision or vision changes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Mood changes
- Mild tiredness or sleepiness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 1/27/2017