Pain, Pain Go Away
Finding relief for various types of pain
Most people experience pain at some point in their lives. Pain can be emotional, physical or spiritual; chronic or temporary; or surgical, accidental or disease-related. Fortunately, there are several resources available to relieve almost any type of pain that one encounters.
Although there may not be total relief for all types of pain, particularly chronic pain, there are treatments that focus on reducing the pain, improving physical and mental functioning, and ultimately lessening the impact of pain on a person's life. Some treatments that can be used to curb the effects of chronic pain include the following:
- Taking medications to relieve pain.
- Reducing stress with relaxation techniques, including meditation.
- Practicing physical therapy and/or exercising.
- Receiving professional counseling.
- Receiving acupuncture treatments.
- Receiving electrical stimulation therapy.
- Exploring surgical options.
For lesser, more temporary pain, there are also certain treatments available, including:
- Massage therapy,
- Meditation and
"In addition to taking medication as prescribed by a physician, patients should also take a more proactive role in self-managing their pain," says Julie Rauh, a physical therapist at St. Luke's Sports Medicine Center.