Bumetanide (By mouth)
Treats fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure. This medicine is a diuretic (water pill).
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to bumetanide or to sulfa drugs, you have liver or kidney problems, or you are dehydrated.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- If this medicine upsets your stomach, you may take it with food.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Some medicines and foods can affect how bumetanide works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- A blood thinner, such as warfarin
- Other diuretics, such as furosemide or hydrochlorothiazide
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, gout, or pancreatitis.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are taking this medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Chest pain
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, problems urinating, nausea or vomiting
- Fever, chills, cough, pain in your side or lower back
- Hearing loss, or ringing in the ears
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe diarrhea or stomach pain
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
- Problems having sex
- Stomach cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017