Vitamin A (By mouth)
Vitamin A (VYE-ta-min A)
Treats vitamin A deficiency.
A-25, PharmAssure Vitamin AThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin A. Tell your doctor if you have liver disease. Vitamin A should not be taken by pregnant women or those who plan to become pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- May be taken directly or mixed with fruit juice.
If a dose is missed:
- Missing a dose is not a cause for concern.
- You can take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, light, and moisture. The oral liquid may be refrigerated, but do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Follow your doctor's orders if he or she has given you a special diet.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills or Accutane® before you take this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Large doses of vitamin A should be taken only if your doctor orders it.
- Large amounts of vitamin A taken for a long time can be harmful.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe drowsiness
- Double vision
- Bone or joint pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry and cracked lips or skin
- Loss of appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017