Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) (By mouth)
Ascorbic Acid (as-KORE-bik AS-id)
Helps patients who do not have enough vitamin C in the body. It is sometimes used to add acidity to the urine.
Ascocid, C-500, C-Time w/Rose Hips, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Great Taste Vitamin C, Mega-C, Nature's Blend Vitamin C, One-Gram C, PharmAssure Vitamin C, Rite Aid Vitamin C, Vitamin C250There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Powder, Chewable Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often. Always follow the dose instructions on the label if you take this medicine in over-the-counter form.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Swallow the tablet or capsule whole, do not chew or crush.
- Chew the chewable tablet and swallow.
- Carefully measure the oral liquid using a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup, or with the dropper that comes with the medicine. This medicine may either be mixed with foods such as cereal and fruit juice, or be dropped into the mouth.
If a dose is missed:
- Try not to miss any doses; however, it is usually not a problem if you miss one or two doses.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking a blood thinner, such as Coumadin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking vitamin C if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any medical problems.
- Ascorbic acid may interfere with tests that measure sugar in the urine of patients with diabetes.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017