Glucagon (By injection)
Treats severe low blood sugar. Also may be used during imaging tests.
GlucaGen HypoKit, Glucagen, Glucagen Diagnostic Kit, Glucagon Emergency Kit, Glucagon NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to glucagon or lactose.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin, into a muscle, or into a vein.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. A family member or friend should be taught how to give you this medicine in case of an emergency. Follow all directions from your doctor about what to do when you have low blood sugar. Make sure you get emergency help after you use glucagon. If you have any questions about your condition or this medicine, ask your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine if a gel forms or there are particles in the mixed solution.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze. Throw away any mixed medicine that is not used.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Some medicines can affect how glucagon works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart disease, adrenal gland problems, or a pancreas disorder.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Low blood sugar in people who have pancreas tumors: Shaking, sweating, lightheadedness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017