Doxycycline (By injection)
Treats infections. This medicine is a tetracycline antibiotic.
Doxy 100, Doxy 100 Novaplus, PremierPro Rx Doxy 100There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to doxycycline or any tetracycline antibiotic, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Some medicines can affect how doxycycline works. Tell your doctor if you are also using the following:
- A blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or lupus.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Severe diarrhea that may be bloody, stomach cramps, fever
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
- Trouble swallowing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017