Labetalol (By injection)
Treats severe hypertension (high blood pressure).
Labetalol HCl NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to labetalol, or if you have asthma or similar lung problems.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You will need to remain lying down for up to 3 hours after you receive this medicine.
- Your doctor will give you a few doses of this medicine until your condition improves, and then switch you to an oral medicine that works the same way. If you have any concerns about this, talk to your doctor.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Some medicines can affect how labetalol works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Other medicines to lower blood pressure
- Tricyclic antidepressants (such as amitriptyline, nortriptyline)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, liver disease, or pheochromocytoma. Tell your doctor if you have heart failure or any other heart problems.
This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Liver problems
- Low blood pressure
- Changes to your blood sugar levels
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet, trouble breathing, tiredness
- Slow, fast, or pounding heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or sleepiness
- Increased sweating
- Mild nausea, vomiting, stomach upset
- Tingling in your scalp
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017