Caffeine (By mouth)
Keeps you mentally alert.
Good Sense Stay Awake, Keep Alert, NoDoz, Rite Aid Stay Awake, Stay Awake, TopCare Stay Awake, VivarinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to caffeine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid foods or drinks that contain caffeine while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- This medicine is for occasional use only. Do not use caffeine to stay awake for long periods of time. You will still need adequate restful sleep.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Ongoing drowsiness.
- Unusually fast heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling nervous or irritable.
- Trouble sleeping.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017