Nitroglycerin (By injection)
Treats high blood pressure and heart problems such as angina or heart attack. This medicine is a nitrate.
NitronalThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to nitroglycerin, or if you have certain heart conditions. Your doctor will determine if you have any of these conditions.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not receive this medicine if you are also using riociguat, sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil.
Some medicines can affect how nitroglycerin works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- Blood pressure medicines
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney, liver, or heart disease, diabetes, or an allergy to corn.
This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Severe low blood pressure
- Worsening of chest pain caused by an enlarged heart
- Medicines that treat chest pain sometimes cause headaches. These headaches are a sign that the medicine is working. Ask your doctor if you can take aspirin or acetaminophen to treat the headache.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you. You may feel lightheaded when standing, so stand up slowly.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Increased chest pain, slow heartbeat
- Severe headache
- Severe or ongoing dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017