Micafungin (By injection)
Treats fungal infections. Also prevents Candida infection in people undergoing stem cell transplant.
Mycamine, Mycamine NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to micafungin or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will have to remain in place for at least 1 hour.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Some medicines can affect how micafungin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a blood disorder (such as anemia).
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankle, or feet
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Pale skin, unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Tiny red dots on the skin, especially on the lower legs
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, trouble sleeping
- Mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017