Perflutren lipid microsphere (By injection)
Perflutren Lipid Microsphere (per-FLOO-tren LIP-id MYE-kroe-sfeer)
Used during an echocardiogram to help show the inside of your heart.
DefinityThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to perflutren lipid microsphere.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a congenital heart defect or heart or lung condition, such as heart failure, heart rhythm problems, a history of heart attack, or lung disease.
- This medicine could cause changes to your heart rhythm.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or shortness of breath
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain
- Dizziness or headache
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017