Locations Main Campus: Chesterfield, MO 63017   |   Locations
314-434-1500 314-434-1500   |   Contact Us

Multimedia Encyclopedia


 
E-mail Form
Email Results

 
 
Print-Friendly
Bookmarks
bookmarks-menu

Foxglove poisoning

Willow-leaved foxglove poisoning; Revebjelle poisoning

 

Foxglove poisoning most often occurs from sucking the flowers or eating the seeds, stems, or leaves of the foxglove plant.

Poisoning may also occur from taking more than the recommended amounts of medicines made from foxglove.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Poisonous Ingredient

 

Poisonous ingredients include:

  • Deslanoside
  • Digitoxin
  • Digitalis glycoside

 

Where Found

 

The poisonous substances are found in:

  • Flowers, leaves, stems, and seeds of the foxglove plant
  • Heart medicine (digitalis glycoside)

 

Symptoms

 

Symptoms for the heart and blood include:

  • Irregular or slow heartbeat
  • Collapse
  • Low blood pressure

Other possible symptoms include:

  • Blurred vision
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Disorientation or hallucinations
  • Halos around objects (yellow, green, white)
  • Headache
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Rash or hives
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea
  • Weakness or drowsiness

Hallucinations, loss of appetite, and halos are most often seen in people who have been poisoned over a long period of time.

 

Home Care

 

Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care provider.

 

Before Calling Emergency

 

Get the following information:

  • Person's age, weight, and condition
  • Name of the plant or medicine, if known
  • Time it was swallowed
  • Amount swallowed

 

Poison Control

 

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does not need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

 

The provider will measure and monitor person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The person may receive:

  • Activated charcoal
  • Blood and urine tests
  • Breathing support
  • Chest x-ray
  • EKG (electrocardiogram or heart tracing)
  • Fluids through a vein (IV)
  • Laxatives
  • Medicines to treat symptoms, possibly including an antidote to help reverse the effects of the poison
  • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

 

Outlook (Prognosis)

 

How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

Symptoms last for 1 to 3 days and may require a hospital stay. Death is unlikely.

DO NOT touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.

 

 

References

Graeme KA. Toxic plant ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012:chap 64.

 
  • Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

    Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) - illustration

    Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is a common garden plant that contains digitalis and other cardiac glycosides. These chemicals affect the heart. Foxglove is poisonous, although recorded poisonings from this plant are very rare.

    Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

    illustration

    • Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

      Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) - illustration

      Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is a common garden plant that contains digitalis and other cardiac glycosides. These chemicals affect the heart. Foxglove is poisonous, although recorded poisonings from this plant are very rare.

      Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

      illustration

    Self Care

     

      Tests for Foxglove poisoning

       

         

        Review Date: 11/4/2015

        Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Attending Physician at FDR Medical Services/Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Buffalo, NY. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

        The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
        adam.com

         
         
         

         

         

        A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.



        Content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.